Hi there, Catie here! Happy Friday folks! How was your week? Ours was good!
First things first. Paul’s birthday was this week!! Don’t ask me how old he is because I’m not sure. He’s an age and it’s in numbers. That much I know. The original plan for his birthday was a trip to CT to see Slayer (Paul loves Slayer) and a bunch of other bands.
It was going to be a long, loud night so I thought that it would be nice to spend the night at a nearby hotel sort of a mini-getaway. So a couple months ago I jumped on Expedia and booked what I thought would be a good room for a quick overnight. Spoiler alert, it was NOT a good room and Paul and I ended up driving a couple hours home after the show. The show was great, this is Slayers farewell tour (they’ve been around for well over 30 years, it’s time) and they played a couple of Paul’s very favorite songs which is always fun. Paul is adorable when rocking out, just saying. The other bands were good too, except one, I could have done without Behemouth.
Anyway, on to why everyone is here…FIVE ON FRIDAY!!
Lena first (before she falls asleep)
- You just won $10,000.00, what do you do? Go on a fun trip around the world! Yes!! Or… get a hot tub! Permanent vacation place at home! Yes!! Or… massages every week for everyone! I wish… In reality, I’d pay bills. How boring, right? BUT, the sooner we pay the mortgage off, the sooner I can retire. And that, ladies and gents, is something I’m really looking forward to.
- What TV show character would it be the most fun to change places with for a week? Hm… Good question. OH! Karen Walker from Will & Grace. Oh, how I love her snark! Also, I’d love to be rich, self assured, and have a such good friends.
- What movie, picture, or video always makes you laugh no matter how often you watch it? Bina’s face! HAHAHA Just kidding! Also, don’t be mad at my snark, she looks just like me, so in reality, I’m insulting myself. As for the question…I have a bunch of go-to movies that make me laugh. Clue is one that I’ve seen a thousand times, a true classic. The Money Pit is another. The Princess Bride. I know they’re old, but they’re really good. As for videos? Any baby laughing. That’ll get me going, guaranteed.
- If animals could talk, which animal would be the most annoying? Birds, no doubt about it. And some do talk. Constantly yapping. And they’re so damn loud. Don’t get me wrong, I love birds. But I love them over there. Wayyyy over there.
- What’s the most recent show you’ve binge watched? It’s a tie between Criminal Minds and Elementary. CM when I’m hanging out with Bina (we’re not allowed to watch it without the other), and E when I’m solo. I do love murder porn.
And now Paul:
- You just won $10,000.00, what do you do? Get a $10,000 hooker? Wait, $10,000 worth of coffee? Okay, okay, the real answer is pay off bills. And maybe redo the kitchen. And buy some scratch tickets. Maybe we could win more money! (Catie here, $10,000 is not enough to redo the kitchen and take off the load-bearing linoleum floor.) (Lena saying “load-bearing linoleum?!”)
- What TV show character would it be the most fun to change places with for a week? Sterling Archer from Archer. All the guns and gadgets. Also, he’s immortal and gets laid a lot. wink wink.
- What movie, picture, or video always makes you laugh no matter how often you watch it? Mallrats is funny. (Lena: oh God! Here come the quotes!!! Be glad you can’t hear them.) The Baby Monkey video!
- If animals could talk, which animal would be the most annoying? I have a suspicion that Prix (one of our cats) would be annoying if he could talk. (Lena: Hey! That’s my cat, and he’s the best!) Yeah, yeah.
- What’s the most recent show you’ve binge watched? Archer. Oh, I’ve been watching the new Lost In Space on Netflix. I haven’t quite decided if I like it or not. I’ll have to wait until season 2.
- You just won $10,000.00, what do you do? I’m halfway between Paul and Lena. I would book a small vacation then pay some bills with whatever is left
- What TV show character would it be the most fun to change places with for a week? Louise from Bob’s Burgers – that girl knows how to have fun.
- What movie, picture, or video always makes you laugh no matter how often you watch it? Clerks, I love Kevin Smith. There are a bunch of Disney/Pixar movies that can get me to giggle too. Like in Wall E when the other robots are cleaning Eva but he thinks shes being killed? Priceless.
- If animals could talk, which animal would be the most annoying? I think they’d all be annoying. I mean, I think most other humans are annoying, why would I have any more patience with a talking animal?
- What’s the most recent show you’ve binge watched? The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. If you can, watch it. I’ve watched almost the whole first season and it’s fantastic.
So I woke up this morning to see that Anthony Bourdain had killed himself in Paris overnight. Its terrible and tragic and sad but in a weird sort of way death by suicide fits. He wasn’t the kind of person to let time take its course, he lived through the 1970’s and early 80’s in New York City. Back when it really was Hells Kitchen, unemployment, poverty, drugs and a little bit of anarchy. He cooked the food, saw the art, went to the clubs, reveled in the music, did the drugs, lived, loved and fought his way through the shambles of life. Then he wrote fantastic books about everything he had experienced. Then he traveled and took us with him. He ate the food, brought us the culture and pulled the veil of “different” back a little for us. He did this while being unflinchingly honest with us. If the food was terrible, we knew. If he didn’t like someone, we knew. He was honest with his political and social views and screw the people that didn’t like it. I didn’t always agree with him, or like the food that he liked but I did always appreciate that he was as honest with us as he was with himself. I’m sure that we will never know why he decided to check out last night, his reasons were his own. And while I once again do not agree with the decision, I can step back and appreciate that he had made his mind up, screw everyone else.
All that said, you dear reader are mostly likely NOT Anthony Bourdain. If you are feeling at all like killing yourself there are suicide prevention lines and people to talk to, use them. These good people will even chat with you online if you don’t feel comfortable calling.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline in the US: 1-800-273-8255
Eat something delicious tonight.